Friday, May 16, 2008

It's Finally Real

Today was my last day of work. My mood all week has been so different from last week. (Really good mood, like nothing out of the ordinary is about to happen.) Today was busy, to say the least. I said my good byes to my students as each class came and gathered all their things from the AT room. They were bittersweet goodbyes, but no tears. (For those of you who have seen me year after year crying my eyes out on the bus platform saying goodbye to my kids on the last day of school, you can appreciate how odd it sounds for me to have no tears saying my goodbyes today.) I busily organized (or shoved things into nooks and crannies on bookshelves and in cupboards) and tended to last minute details. All day I've been saying to friends that it just seems like the surgery is happening to someone else. Even while Ashley and I were at the hospital yesterday for my preadmission paperwork and testing, it still seemed distant, like we were discussing someone else. Emotions got a little more overwhelming once all the kids left for the day, but no time to let that overwhelm me, I had more organizing to do and many things to load into my car before picking Ashley up from school. I met some very special friends at Ruby Tuesdays for drinks, and all still seemed amazingly calm inside of me. We laughed and chatted and I didn't think too much about anything out of the ordinary coming soon. Until the good byes . . . I could feel a sense of panic swelling up inside of me as each person hugged me and wished me well. It was the final goodbye in the parking lot that seemed to snap me to my senses. As Karen and I stood in the rain, I didn't want to say that final goodbye and get into my car. As soon as I did, I suddenly became very aware that this is all too real, and it's really happening to me. I cried the whole way home and for a good while after arriving. I'm okay now, but I have a hunch this weekend will be full of those reality moments. If saying goodbye to friends was so overwhelming, how will I walk away from Ashley Monday afternoon, and how will I walk away from family in the waiting room Tuesday morning. Those are the moments I've been dreading since January. I'll be so happy for Wednesday to get here!

To those of you at work, I can't bring myself to read the Kisses book yet, your notes are sure to touch me more deeply than I can handle at the moment, but the book is going to the hospital with me. I may have to save reading it for Wednesday :-)

Thank you, again, to everyone for all your love, inspirational words and prayers. You'll never know how much they help to carry me through the dark moments.
I love you all!
Joyce

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No goodbyes...just see you soon! :) You are in the best hands possible and two Heavenly Hands will be holding yours during the surgery.

"The Lord watches over all who love Him." Psalm 145:20

"When I am afraid, I will trust in You." Psalm 56:3

Ethan wants you to know that he had a great time with you this year and he's glad that he got to know you. He's praying for you every night and will continue to until you say that you're all better :)
We'll be thinking about you and praying for you, especially on Tuesday.
Love,
Amy (and Ethan)

Denise said...

I tried to call you today at school, but did not get an answer in your room. I am so sorry I missed you, but I will talk to you very soon. I love knowing that the next time we speak you will be well on you way to recovery! Please know that you, Ashley and Tony are in my prayers every day. Please be brave and know how much love and support you have...... MUCH LOVE, Denise :)

Joyce said...

Thank you Amy and Denise. I'm doing really well today. (My parents and Tony's are arriving today so I've been busy cleaning.) I started packing today. Amy, tell Ethan I have the tin of goodies that you put together ready to go with me. They say to pack lightly, but I'm bringing so many little momentos.
Denise, I'll try to call you this weekend. Yesterday was extremely busy, I didn't sit still for long.
Love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Joyce- Good Luck! We'll be praying for you and know that you are in the best of hands- God's and those wonderful doctors. I can taxi Ashley at any time- give her our phone number in case she needs a ride- 284-4349. Dale & Carole Hammond (Casey, Brianna, & Kylie's Mom-Mom & Pop-Pop)

Mel said...

I am praying for Wednesday to get here quickly for you too. I am sure it was a long weekend and will be a long couple of days, but the sooner it gets here the sooner it is over, right??!! I'm sorry I missed going out on Friday. I really need to move closer to Milford and get a better daycare with longer hours. Hang in there and you will be recovering before we know it!! Love you!

wyatt said...

i was praying for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


wyatt