Saturday, July 19, 2008

So Many Improvements!

I've really come a long way these past two weeks. I'm able to do so many things that were uncomfortable to do just two weeks ago. My stamina is building, in fact we walked for hours at the state fair two nights ago and the only discomfort I felt was in my legs. My back pain has subsided quite a bit except when sitting on hard chairs -something that probably hurt my back before the surgery. A week ago it really hurt me to brush the pool, this week I brushed and vacuumed it and felt fine, I can put the fitted sheets on the beds by myself (the fourth corner has been a killer up until this week) I can walk a half mile and hope to double that by the end of next week. (not sure if that's going to happen, though) I successfully wrestled two cats to the vet (they are both fine - Ashley and I just needed to be sure after K.C.'s episode) Yesterday we spent the day by the pool and I was easily getting into and out of the lounger by the pool with no help, something that hurt two weeks ago. And here's the exciting one . . . I even layed on my stomach on the pool lounger and felt fine. (I felt a pull at the incision when I got up, but I was thrilled with that accomplishment.) Using the hoe two weeks ago hurt very much, I'm hoping it's gotten easier, too. I have two more small gardens to get cleaned up, the weeds have driven me nuts all summer, but the bulk of the weeding is done. Sleep remains my biggest challenge, but I'm feeling like myself again and I'm excited to see if I'm ready for situps. I still have to be really careful with how heavy I lift and certain twisting movements, but overall, I'm in a much better place. I have to say, though, that I am one huge bruise - being on the blood thinners has made me bruise incredibly easily. Wrestling the cats into the cat carrier did a number on my legs. (So if you see me and notice I'm looking black and blue, don't be alarmed :0) I am relieved to not feel quite so disjointed, though the connection between my sternum/ribcage and my stomach area will probably always feel off to me. God is wonderful and I'm thankful to be feeling like me again. Hope everyone is doing great and I can't wait to see the whole family in Tennessee. We are car shopping today, wish us luck, as I really feel uneasy about driving the Explorer all that way. Thank you for still checking on me!
Love to all!
Joyce

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joyce- you looked great at church on Sunday and it sounds like you feel as great at you look. All those little things a lot of people take for granted you are able to do now- I know what you mean about the fourth corner on the fitted sheets- with a bad back, I still have trouble with that sometimes:) Dale has a health issue- we haven't asked for prayers in church because he doesn't want it to get back to Mrs. Donaway (she's 95 & he pays her bills and is her Power of Attorney-she'll just worry)but he's been out of "puff" just walking up stairs- found out all his blood counts were way low- had 2 units of blood last Friday and again this past Monday- had more blood tests ono Thursday had a bone marrow test yesterday, CAT Scan on Monday- hopefully we'll know what's wrong by Friday (before we leave for the beach for two weeks). Please include him in your prayers. Again, we're both so thankful you are on the road to recovery- you've been so brave through all of this. Keep up the good work!! Carole & Dale

Joyce said...

Carole, thank you for the encouragement. I will be praying for Dale's test results to be good. Please encourage him to share any trials with the church - the love and support of everyone certainly carried me through my journey these past few months. (And the power of prayer is enormous!) See you in church,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Joyce,
I am sorry that I am just now reading up on your progress, but you sound absolutely great in your blog! I will be sure to share it with Nicholas. Enjoy the rest of your summer! We are in the pool almost every day. Darren is planning and building our deck and patio. I can't wait for that to be done so we won't have so much soil coming into the garage.

Vicki and I are having an open house to debut the new line lia sophia jewelry. We would love to have you. Nicholas would love to see you, too! It is at my house Tues, July 22 from 6:30 pm until the last person goes home. You can email me so I don't broadcast my address to the world on this great blog. urtitanium2000@yahoo.com You would be Vicki's guest, naturally.

So sorry to hear about your cat. Losing a family pet is really hard.

Take care of yourself and enjoy your family.

~Judy

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a couple of weeks have done for you. If you're not careful, you'll be ready for "you know what" to start. Ick. Ethan was so excited to hear that AT is back. :) Enjoy relaxing in the pool--forget the sit ups (you're making me feel guilty!). I think you're done more in the past 2 weeks than I've done all summer!
Have a great vacation!
Amy and Ethan

Anonymous said...

Hey,
Before you know it you'll be your 'new/old' self again from the sounds of it !! FABULOUS !!!
Isn't the power of prayer awesome ?

Have a great trip...
Janice

Anonymous said...

Hey Joyce...Glad to hear you are doing so well! I have been thinking of you and wanted to just say HELLO to you and the family!
Laurie

Anonymous said...

Joyce- if I'd had your email I would have sent you the very "lengthy" email I sent to other concerned people- but in a nut shell- he has MDS- which is Myelodysplastic Syndrome- it's a group of diseases affecting the bone marrow and blood cells. It is not cureable but it is treatable- it can develope into leukemia but at this point, the doc thinks not. However, another thing showed up on his CAT Scan- he has a shadow on his right kidney so we're coming up from the beach (we leave for two weeks vacation today, Sat.) Wed. evening for an 8am apt Thur for a biopsy. We're hoping it's just a shadow or he does have a kidney stone history. With this brief explanation- we need all the prayers we can get. We're trying to be optomistic- you know how that goes. Thanks for your caring and we have allowed the church to put us on the prayer chain with instructions not to let Miss Dot Donaway know. We'll tell her after we find out what we're dealing with:) So glad you are improving- when we look at you, we know prayers are answered. But- don't do too much too soon:):) Love, Carole & Dale

Anonymous said...

To Carole & Dale.
I'm Tony's Mom's cousin...and I will include you both in my daily prayers.

GOD watch over you on Thursday.
Janice

Sandy said...

Joyce...I look forward to seeing you soon...too soon for me, but I do always miss seeing everyone at school when summer comes. Please don't do too much. Call us if you need help and we will come.
Sandy and Bliss

AV1611 said...

Joyce - from an old friend from Langport - I just saw this and am glad you have come through this procedure well. You will be in my prayers. - Steve Shea