Monday, April 28, 2008

Sharing the News

This was a big week for me. I have been hesitating to share the news of my surgery on a larger scale, mostly because I was afraid it would make the situation seem too real. I had planned on waiting until May to share the news, but decided to share it with the staff at work this week after several people asked me about my medical leave that was posted in the School Board Meeting Minutes. The well wishes and encouragement proved to be very uplifting and I'm glad it's in the open at work. Thank you to my wonderful colleagues for all your care and concern.

Again, at church yesterday, I shared the news and was amazed by the genuine concern and care I received. Ashley has been wanting me to share the news with our church family for months. I had shared it with a small number of people so we could be on the prayer chain, but didn't want to share it with the whole church until much closer to the surgery date. I didn't want to have the focus on my "far off" problem when there are so many people needing more immediate prayers. When it came time for prayer requests, Ashley grabbed my arm and pushed it into the air. I could see she was needing me to openly request prayers. The statement was simple, but difficult for me to say. "I'm having open heart surgery in a few weeks and my family and I could really use your prayers." The lump formed in my throat before I could get all the words out. Ashley looked so relieved when I had finished as she handed me a tissue. She needs prayers for the next few weeks as much as I do. Almost instantly, I was surrounded by amazing and caring people, all ready to welcome me to the "zipper club." In our small church congregation I met people who have had bipass surgery, heart valve surgery, aorta replacement surgery, and even heart transplant surgery. It was so encouraging to know that the procedures really are quite common and I'm far from alone in this journey. I was very moved, but not surprised, by the outpouring of love and support that I received from people who really don't know me very well. We have a very special church community - I am very blessed. Thank you to everyone at Felton United Methodist Church - and thank you to my wise daughter, Ashley.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can bet that there will be prayers coming from the Hurd house for you. You have been such a blessing to Ethan this year and we would love to pray for you before, during and after your surgery.

Remember...Phillippians 4:6-7 tells us, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Blessings,
Amy Hurd

Joyce said...

Thank you so much for your prayers. When you handed me the envelope with the scriptures and your very sweet note, it really touched me. The scriptures are perfect for uplifting and calming me. I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness and friendship.
Thank you,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

You are so welcome. Ethan and his sister have been praying for you every night--I can't help but think that God hears the prayers of children as the sweetest! You've got lots of prayers and support behind you. Try to enjoy your last few days with the kids :)for the year...if they're like mine, they're hanging off the ceiling!